Detoxing Sugars, Sweeteners, and AddictivesAugust 6, 2015 August 6, 2015
A recent article stated that there are 6 foods to avoid if you want to aleviate problems associated with chronic pain and sense of sluggishness and feeling unhealthy. These are artificial sweeteners like aspartame (NutraSweet) and Splenda, Sugar, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, MSG. At the Magaziner Center for Wellness our list is more extensive and not only includes avoidance, but also detoxification of the harmful effects that these substances already have in the body.
What is detoxification?
Detoxification is the process of clearing toxins, including heavy metals, from the body or neutralizing or transforming them. Many of these toxins come from poor diet, drug use, and exposure to environmental contaminants, both acute and chronic. In fact, recent studies show that there are more than 80,000 chemicals used in industry today, many as pesticides, solvents or preservatives that can be absorbed into the body. Internally, fats – especially oxidized fats and cholesterol – free radicals, and other irritating molecules act as toxins. Poor digestion, colon sluggishness and dysfunction, reduced liver function, and poor elimination through the kidneys, respiratory tract, and skin all add to increased toxicity.
Detoxification involves dietary and lifestyle changes which reduce intake of toxins and improve elimination. Avoidance of chemicals, from food or other sources, processed foods, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, and many drugs helps minimize the toxin load.
Symptoms that may be benefitted by detoxification, include, but are not limited to:
- Chronic headaches
- Brain fog/poor concentration/memory loss
- Cold hands and feet
- Joint pain
- Frequent colds or flu
- Tendency to be anxious or nervous
- Dark under eye circles
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Digestive problems
- Hormone imbalance
- Night sweats
- General “sick” feeling
- Inability to gain or lose weight
- Chemical sensitivity
- Burning skin
- Mood swings
- Low resistance to infection
Proper detoxification helps with all endocrine function including regulation of mood, growth and development, tissue function, sexual function and reproductive processes. The endocrine system influences almost every cell and organ of the body, so the elimination of toxins is integral to health and wellbeing.
At the Magaziner Center for Wellness, we utilize a number of in-office and at-home detoxification procedures to help our patients eliminate or prevent the buildup of harmful toxins that enter the bloodstream through poor diet or daily exposure to dangerous, but common, environmental pollutants. These include:
- Intravenous chelation therapy to rid the body of heavy metals by using agents that bind to the metals and help “pull” them from the body
- Diet and lifestyle changes – increased water intake, switching to organic foods that are clean – meaning unrefined and void of chemical additives, like artificial sweeteners
- Juicing – cleansing blends using kale, broccoli, asparagus, celery, beets, carrots, etc.
- Homeopathic agents to stimulate the liver, spleen and bowels, including Probiotics
- Infrared sauna therapy that helps rid the body of toxins via perspiration
- Use of epsom salt therapy to draw out toxins
- Brushing of the skin, the body’s largest detoxifying organ
- ONDAMED – and advanced biofeedback technology that helps restore the body to a state of balance