Being the largest joint in the body, there are many things that can and do go wrong with the knees. Relative to the amount of weight your knees support, they’re also the weakest joint in the body.
At the Magaziner Center, we’ve successfully treated patients suffering from knee pain caused by everything from ligament sprains to meniscus tears to osteoarthritis. Below are some of the common causes of knee pain we specialize in treating:
- ACL AND PCL ligament sprains: These ligaments connect the thigh bone, or femur, with the tibia, or shin bone. Putting too much stress on them can result in a sprain or tear.
- Baker’s cyst: A Baker’s or popliteal cyst, is a fluid-filled cyst that occurs behind the knee. It causes a bulge and tightness, which can be painful when the knee is fully extended or flexed. A Baker’s cyst can cause complications if it ruptures.
- Meniscus tear: A meniscus tear is most commonly caused by quick, jerking movements, such as twisting or turning the knee, usually while it is bent. It can also be caused by heavy lifting, repetitive motion or high-impact activities, such as running.
- Runner’s knee: Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome is commonly called runner’s knee for obvious reasons! Running is a very high-impact activity that puts a lot of stress on the kneecap, eventually causing pain.
- Osteoarthritis: The most common form of arthritis is characterized by the degeneration of joint cartilage and the underlying bone, resulting in pain and stiffness.
How they treat it
Drugs and surgery are the typical ways that conventional medicine addresses knee pain. For surgery, aside from the cost, discomfort, and any potential complications, even keyhole surgery comes with risks, there’s substantial evidence, some going back over a decade, confirming that patients have similar, or even better, outcomes without resorting to surgery. And taking drugs to mask the pain, even familiar, easy-to-buy ones like aspirin or acetaminophen, carry plenty of risks all on their own.
How we treat it
At the Magaziner Center for Wellness we treat knee pain holistically, taking advantage of treatments that include prolotherapy, platelet-rich plasma and cellular regenerative therapies to stimulate the body’s natural healing process. This allows the body to heal itself naturally, without surgery and without the side effects that come along with taking drugs to temporarily cover up the pain. We may also recommend various nutraceuticals to help stimulate healing, an anti-inflammatory diet and energy medicine modalities to help restore normal function and alleviate pain.Learn more about prolotherapy Learn more about Platelet Rich Plasma treatments