Allergies & Environmental Issues

A Safe and Effective Alternative to Traditional Allergy Treatment.

At the Magaziner Center, we prefer to cure the allergy or food intolerance, rather than suppressing the symptoms, year after year. With sublingual desensitization, we are able to ‘train’ the body to tolerate the allergen or food. It has been proven highly effective and safe, with no risk of anaphylactic shock, as there is with regular ‘allergy shots’ and can be self-administered at home with a simple drop under the tongue.

What is sublingual desensitization?
Sublingual desensitization is an immunotherapy using sublingual (under the tongue) drops. An allergy is an immune response to a substance that would not normally cause a response. Rather than using antihistamines to suppress the body’s reaction, we find it safer and more effective to ‘train’ the immune system to respond appropriately to the allergen.

Is it safe for children?
Yes, sublingual desensitization is safe and effective for children and adults. Compared to allergy shots or antihistamine pills, it is safer and less invasive, with no risk of anaphylactic shock, making it an ideal treatment for young children.

How long until I see results?
Training your immune system to ‘like’ an allergen takes time. We generally recommend starting treatment at least two months prior to your normal allergy season.

How is sublingual desensitization performed?
We have been using sublingual desensitization with great success for more than 25 years. Like all treatments at the Magaziner Center, our patients first undergo a thorough evaluation. We test patients’ reactions to common, as well as unexpected, allergens, including:

  • Food
  • Smoke
  • Cat/dog dander
  • Pollens (grass, trees and weeds)
  • Dust/dust mites
  • Chemicals (perfumes, paint, carpets, etc.)
  • Mold

We then design a personalized treatment plan for each individual. Using injection therapy, we place tiny amounts of the allergen into the bloodstream until a response is triggered. We then give successive dosages of the allergen until the symptoms that have been created disappear. Once the level is identified, we make up a vial of antigens that patients place as drops under their tongue on a daily basis.

In the simplest terms, we are naturally training the immune system to respond appropriately to the allergens. This takes time, of course, so it is recommended that anyone who suffers from seasonal allergies receive treatment in mid-March so that the immune system’s response can be built well in advance of the blossoming of trees and flowers between April and October.