A new preliminary study has found that there may be certain health risks associated with the cleaning products we use every day. There is a chemical called triclosan that studies have indicated might cause inflammation in the colon, which can progress into colon cancer. While most people may not have heard of triclosan, we will all be familiar with the products that triclosan is found in: toothpaste, detergent, soap, and mouthwash. As an antibacterial and antifungal chemical, its use is widespread in all the products we use to keep our homes and bodies clean.
While triclosan has been used in many products since the 1960s, the widespread use is starting to raise questions as to how well we really know and understand the chemicals that we use every day. In addition to its uses in household products, it has begun to be found in nature as a result of waste and runoff, including more worryingly, our water supply. The potential risks of triclosan doesn’t mean that people should stop brushing their teeth or washing their dishes, but rather it is an important reminder of how mindful we must be of all the things we depend on and take for granted on a daily basis. In the meantime, more research should be done into the chemicals and compounds that surround our us in our environment.
At the Magaziner Center for Wellness, we can help identify the effects of pollution and contamination in your environment and help you reduce the risks and exposure where possible. We are surrounded by chemicals that can potentially cause harm to our bodies when left unchecked. We aim to help our patients return to optimal health as quickly as possible through natural and holistic methods.